Wednesday, March 12, 2014

sump-pump-battery-back-up-question



Hello All:
I have been trying to find a RELIABLE battery powered system for my sump pumps (2). I have two drain tile lines (one interior and one exterior) with the buckets next to each other. There is a fail over pipe between the two buckets in case of pump failure. I also have a Guardian water powered back up pump. The main line (exterior) is lower and therefore is my primary, as I have a high water table. It is running about every 60-75 seconds, 24/7 and has for a few years. Everything works (check valve, draining into the storm sewer in rear of yard, and sewer has been inspected and no issues found). I have been reading everything I can find on these systems and have narrowed it down to the following three:
Champion Pump BBUP – Battery Back-Up Plus System
http://www.championpump.com/pumps/specialty.htm
Blue Angel Pumps BISP Series Primary and backup Pump System
Sumpro 1800 - Backup Power System
http://www.altapower.com/Sumpro_1800_p/ps-872-1800.htm
The Blue Angel site does not show any info on this system. The first two require you to use their pumps, allegedly rated at lower consumption to conserve battery life. The Sumpro says you can use any 1/3 hp pump and you are fine.
I am looking for any help from someone who actually KNOWS if any of these work, and if so how well do they perform.
I had been looking at:
EPS Sump Pump Guardian
http://emergencypowersupply.com/pages/7.asp
However I came across some horrible reviews from users saying they had trouble with the product and the company. I am looking for any help/direction in avoiding spending approximately $1500.00+ and getting the wrong product.
Sorry for the length, but I was trying to avoid having to clarify anything in further posts.
Thanks in advance for your help/guidance!

We sell both the Champion and the metro systems. I like the champion's pump for the low amp draw ( I'm using one for my backyard waterfall) We just recently started selling metro's storm pro series of backup units.We don't have a lot of units out there yet. We have been selling the Sumpro for quite some time now with very few failures.One odd thing about the Sumpro is the pump really bogs down before it comes up to full speed. It doesn't seem to hurt anything-just odd. The storm pro units have an option of an auto dialer that would phone you in case of a problem or can be hooked into a central security system if you are away alot. We have tried the EPS unit and not with good results although the company was ok to deal with. Hope this helps

Thanks a lot pumpguy! Now I just have to figure out if the Sumpro is worth the extra money. I guess I'd rather pay now than pay later.

This home design is built off a Ruhl 4000 Marine bilge pump.
This pump will maintain about 2800 gallon per hour flow at 6.5 feet of lift.
The pump has a 2 outlet which is easily coupled to standard pvc fittings and check valve.
I use this with a marine deep cycle battery and standard sump mercury float valve. Just zip tie the float valve higher in the sump crock so the primary always runs first, unless the power goes out.
Mercury float switch is wired in series with motor and a 20A blade type automotive fuse / fuseholder.
12Volt Marine deep cycle battery trickle charges constantly off a 2Amp sears float type charger.
This pump will empty a large sump crock in less than 30 seconds. Because the on/off cycle time is quick, the battery life if in the order of days (minimum). Need more life, just parallel another battery.
Thing has been in service for three years and has never failed.
Total cost was under $300. Best part is all replacement parts are locally available. No sourcing issues.






Tags: sump, pump, battery, back, have been, battery life, Blue Angel, check valve, cycle battery, deep cycle, deep cycle battery, float valve, looking help, pump will