Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Creeping Myrtle



Hi,
I am planning on planting a ground cover on a hill that is behind my house. The hil is pretty steep, doesnt get much sun and was previously mulched. Also, I am in zone 6 (Northwest New Jersey)
I sprayed to kill a few weeds earlier this week and Ill be ready to plant at the end of the month. I am planning on planting Vinca Minor Vines (creeping myrtle)
http://landscaping.about.com/od/grou...inca_minor.htm
If I plant around the end of July will that be too late in the summer for the plant to get established before winter? Does anyone have suggestions on the type of plant?
Thanks!

Also known as periwinkle, Vinca minor is great for shade. http://www.vincaminor.org/
Which variety you select can be based on color of flower you desire, clumping or creeping nature, and solid or variegated leaves.
Vinca minor 'Alba' - white-flowering form
Vinca minor 'Atropurpurea' - reddish lavendar to red-violet flowers
Vinca minor 'Bowles' - has larger foliage that tends to mound instead of creep or trail, and flowers that are slightly larger and more dense with an intense blue or purple color; the standard and most common form available
Vinca minor 'Ralph Shugert' - leaf margins are sharply defined by a creamy-white variegation, with blue-purple blossoms
http://hcs.osu.edu/plantlist/descrip.../vi_minor.html
Plants are usually available in spring and summer for planting. Planting now will allow plants to become established before winter. Pay particular attention to moisture conditions as we have now entered warm weather. Moisture is important to helping new plants get established. This prolonged wet spring should be beneficial to new plants. http://www.ehow.com/how_16331_grow-vinca-minor.html

Thanks for the reply...
How do I go about planting Vinca Minor?
I have about 50ftX10ft area on a slope. I found seeds online at a good price.
Can I plant those directly in the soil or do I need to start them in a planter first? If so, how do I go about that? (this will be my first time planting ANYTHING)
Thanks!!

Vinca can be started from seeds indoors and plants transplanted outdoors after frost in the spring. Vegetation can be killed with nonselective herbicide. (May take more than one application.) Soil can be prepped and covered with landscape cloth to prevent weeds from growing. Cuts can be made in landscape cloth to plant transplants in soil. Plant a foot apart, no deeper than the soil in which transplants were growing. Mulch with 3-4 of compost.
http://www.ngb.org/gardening/fact_sh...s.cfm?factID=7

Thanks for all the replies, I have just one more question...
What would you say is the latest I can plant Vinca Minor this year to be safe before winter? Again, I am in NJ and it will start cooling off about Oct here...Im just trying to determine if I can do it this year or If I should wait until next year...
Thanks!

Also, how deep do I dig to plant these? How often/much do I water once I plant?
I ordered a large quantity of these to fill an area that is about 90ft long by 12ft wide...hopefully this works...lol
Thanks!






Tags: creeping, myrtle, Vinca minor, before winter, established before, established before winter, landscape cloth, planning planting, planting Vinca, planting Vinca Minor, Thanks Also, this year, Vinca Minor